Weekly Wait: My Lovely Girl


I recently started watching this K-Drama, My Lovely Girl, because I heard that Krystal from f(x) and L from Infinite are going to be in the main cast! I loved Krystal during her stint as Lee Bona from The Heirs, and eventually ended up gritting my teeth through the cringe-worthy moments of Kim Tan and Cha Eunsang just to catch the few scenes with Lee Bona  (with Yoon Chanyoung, played by CNBlue's Kang Minhyuk, if I'm lucky.) I was pretty much ecstatic after hearing that she was going to have the leading role– and after learning that L was to be one of her love interests, I was pretty much sold.

The cast was primarily what drew me into watching this drama, as most of the Korean Dramas I've watched end up with similar themes and plot devices. Story-wise, I wasn't expecting much from the drama. There will always be the rich tycoon/heir/CEO leading man, the poor girl who needs money badly, and the never-ending love triangles. I'll say it early as now: this drama has all of them. The last one in liberal amounts.

But what kept me watching after the cheesy, fanfiction-esque first two episodes were the characters. They're all endearing and very different from the characters in the other dramas I watched. Hearing Krystal sing every now and then is an added bonus too.

(Forgive me for the crappy screencaps.)


Krystal plays Yoon Sena, an aspiring composer who struggles to make ends meet and at some points ends up getting chased around by loan sharks. I love how her personality is a mix between sassy, sweet, bubbly, and independent. She's motivated– she knows what she wants and what she should do to get there. But what makes her so different is that she knows when to accept help, and be grateful for it. (How many instances in dramas have there been in which the lead female staunchly refuses help and ends up throwing everything into chaos?)

Same, Haeyoon. Same.

Rain's role as Lee Hyunwook surprised me the most. I thought he was just going to end up as the brooding, debonair, broken-hearted lead who declares that he will never love again – which he is, but watching through the first few episodes, I ended up realizing that he was just one giant dork who has a bit of a complex when it comes to his dog, Dalbong, and tries so very hard to befriend Sena when he manages to get her fired from her job. His character gives a very child-like feel at times. It's a refreshing change from the typical, overly-aggressive, leading man who suddenly decides that hey, I want this girl and I'm going to be obnoxious about it. His relationship with Sena develops gradually, actually going through the friendship phase first.

This is supposed to be sweet, but I don't see it. 

Honestly though, I can't quite see the romantic relationship between the two blooming. It may just be me being a bit creeped out by the fact that Rain is, at least, 12 years older than Krystal– but their dynamic leans toward that older brother-younger sister side. Their banter, conversations– even Hyunwook supposedly being "jealous" just seems like him being an overprotective older brother to Sena. It also doesn't help that Sena refers to Hyunwook as "ahjussi" half the time. Or this is just me hoping that there will be a huge plot twist and Sena ends up with Shiwoo, a member of an idol group played by Infinite's L.


Cue me screaming at my laptop screen. 

I know I'm setting myself up for heartbreak, because the second guy never gets the girl but their chemistry is just amazing! Shiwoo is genuine, earnest character, comes off as a bit spoiled and shameless, and Sena won't take any of his crap, but they end up as friends. I'll stop here before I go on a rant about why is it that the second guy never gets the girl they go together so much better ugh.

Why yes, this is me screaming again. Just a little more. Can I push one of them, please?

Shipping aside, the drama also provides a peek into what Korean entertainment companies are like behind the scenes: what being a trainee is like, what happens during a scandal, and so on. For people who enjoy K-Pop like me, it's worth looking into. 

My only regret about watching this drama is that I started watching before it was complete. Waiting for the next episode to come out next week is going to be such a long while.

Bonus screencap of one of the most important things I learned in my Theology 131: Marriage, Family Life And Human Sexuality class:


0 comments:

Post a Comment